Portland Hunger for Justice, by Noah & Bryan


July 18, 2020





Throughout Portland, Beaverton, and Lake Oswego areas, there are a lot of farmers markets, but throughout Oregon there are a lot more hungry people. One of these many farmers markets, on the Park Blocks by PSU, is dedicated to solving the problem of local hunger. Andrew O'Neill, an original founder of the Portland Farmers Market over three decades ago, told us that “We should use a unique aspect of Portland, like its Farmers Market to solve one of our local problems.”



O'Neill rounds up unsold fruits and veggies at the close of every Saturday Farmers Market between March and December, and he takes it to Neighborhood House in Southwest Portland, where the staff there stocks its pantry shelves with fresh fruits and veggies for the poor and hungry.




One third of the food that is produced is wasted and roughly 3 billion people are suffering from hunger today in the world. Poverty is most common in towns and villages that are poor and weak. Recent studies show that one-quarter of India’s population is hungry, which is a lot because the Indian population is about 1.237 billion people. World hunger is not easy to solve, but people like O'Neill can are doing something to help.


3 comments:

  1. Hi my name is Cass and I go to Punahou School in Hawaii. I read your blog and it has brought made me aware of this major global problem. Before reading your blog, I knew about the subject, but I didn't know much. I learned some new facts after reading your blog. I didn't know that three billion people are suffering from hunger. This is a little less than half of the population! That is a huge amount. I also learned that 1/3 of the food at farmers markets are wasted. That is a lot of food. I am glad that you are educating more people about the hunger problem in hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Noah and Bryan,
    My name is Shyen, I am an 8th grade Punahou Student.
    I read your Blog about Hunger and Justice, and thought that it was very inspirational, I like the idea of sharing this hunger problem to others, and the thought of what people can do to solve the problem. I love your Blog!!! It is very clear, and concise.

    Thank you for sharing this information with me, Mahalo, Shakaloha, Shoots, Chee, U guys are awesome, stay in school!!!
    Shyen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Noah and Bryan!
    My name is Kyra and I am an 8th grade student at Punahou School in Honolulu, Hawaii. It is shocking that nearly half of our world's population is going hungry (3 out of 7 billion) and I think that people should do more to help those in need. The fact that a third of all the food produced is wasted is really sad when there are people out in the world that have nothing to eat. This blog is very informative and I learned a lot from reading it.

    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete