From Trash to Transportation, by Ibrahim & Stella


October 10, 2020


Today, Camille Summerson, our local Portland station reporter, reported to us from Delhi, India, about the problems in public transportation, along with the clouds of pollution generated from the public buses. During Camille's research, she interviewed Raj Rahman, a resident of Delhi, who is leading a campaign to build sustainable transportation. He has been thinking about solutions to this problem for the past several years, since 2013 that is. Rahman has invented a solution now in 2020. His idea is to build public buses out of recyclable material that can be used to make more buses once the old ones have been taken out of service. Since one of the main problems he is also facing in his town and in the rest of the world is carbon dioxide emissions, he has decided to make the buses run electrically.

Raj, a skilled engineer with years of experience, has built a small model of his "Electrobus" to present to the Indian Department of Transportation. Raj states, "This pollution problem is out there, you know it! We have got to make a move on it, and I hope the IDT will agree with my creation." Camille then asked Ms.Veerapritak Paranatram, a citizen who lives near a bus stop and takes the bus daily to get to the market in Delhi, what she thought about the Electrobus. She said, "I hope that Raj's idea will be made effective because the smell of gasoline and auto exhaust makes me gag with disgust in the morning. I know this pollution can't be good for the planet."

When Camille interviewed an IDT official about what he thought on the Electrobus, there was no negativity in his response. He said, "The Electrobus is a hope to fix our problems on pollution. We need to be open to new ideas like this one, and I hope the rest of the IDT agrees." The Electrobus could be quite a revolution in public transportation, and we just have to get a move on it.

2 comments:

  1. What an excellent solution. How did the city decide to fund the infrastructure, like recharging stations and upkeep? I'm curious if these stations would be open to normal citizen consumers as well. Secondly, would you be able to teach me about where the expired batteries might end up because I hear they are full of toxins that might need to be dealt with in particular ways but I don't know more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my name is Anna and I go to Punahou School. I think that this is an amazing idea. We should definitely make the "Electrobus" ahead of 2020 so we can get further in the future. I also like what Raj in his interview that we need to be more open to new ideas. If we don't, we won't move on and be more successful.

    ReplyDelete